Essentials for Your New PuppyThere’s nothing more exciting than bringing a new puppy into your family. They are adorable, fun and full of love. But they also come with a lot of responsibility! If you are in the process of bringing a puppy home, below are the basics you’ll need on hand for your new pal. You can download our checklist below.
1. Puppy FoodHealthy, natural food is important for all pets and particularly for a growing pup! Be sure to select a high quality food with plenty of protein. Our team can help you select the best choice for your pup.
2. Food and Water BowlsDog bowls are a necessity for your furry friend, and this can be a fun item to shop for! You can match it to your home decor or get something that stands out, the choice is up to you. Just be sure you get two – one for food and one for water!
3. Training TreatsWith puppies come a lot of training. While you can use their food for treats, getting a special dog treat may be the incentive your pup needs to listen and obey. We have a lot of healthy, natural treats so that you can choose one that you feel good about – and that your new pal will love.
4. ToysToys are one of the most fun things to buy your pup! We recommend getting a variety to keep your puppy occupied. Puzzle toys, plush toys and chew toys are all good items to have in their toy basket.
5. Collar, Harness and LeashPuppies have a lot of energy, so you’ll want to take them on plenty of walks. And, of course, you’ll need a collar, harness and leash. Introduce the leash early and let your puppy follow you around the house. Choosing the right size for each is important, so visit your local Pet Pros and we’d be happy to help you choose the ones that fit best.
6. ID TagDon’t forget an ID tag! An ID Tag provides valuable information should your pup get lost and improves the chance of your pet being returned to you. Stop by any of our stores to get a customized tag with your dog’s name, your address and phone number.
7. CrateGetting a crate for your puppy is another great way to establish a space of their own and is a good training tool when used wisely. In fact, many dogs grow to love their crates! It’s very important to select the right size for your breed, because if the crate is too big or too small it may leave your pup feeling uncomfortable.
8. Puppy PadsPuppy pads can sometimes be a very useful aid for potty training. And, don’t forget the other essential for potty training… patience! Remember that it takes time and every puppy is different.
9. Poop BagsPoop bags are another essential item. Stock up on dog waste bags so you are always ready to clean up after you pup on your walks. Getting a new puppy is a big life event, and we are so excited for your growing family! If you have any questions about puppy care and pet parenting, visit your local Pet Pros. Our team is full of knowledge and advice that they’d love to share with you!
Get Our New Puppy Checklist To make shopping easier, we put together a New Puppy Checklist that includes The Basics listed above plus The Extras that you may want to consider so that you’ll be ready. (There are also 139 Awesome Pet Names included on the list – if you are still searching for that perfect name!) Print the list and start here to shop online. Or, bring your list – and your puppy! – to your neighborhood Pet Pros. We’d love to help you find all the essentials. We look forward to meeting your new family member!