What is a raw food diet? And, what are the benefits?
As obesity among pets is on the rise, weight management is top-of-mind for pet parents. Is your pet overweight (here is how to tell)? If so, then a raw food diet might be a healthy solution to consider. Raw food diets for pets are growing in popularity because they are a natural and easy way to normalize your pet’s weight. If the term “raw food” is unfamiliar to you, here is what you should know and how to get started.
The concept of a raw food diet is based on how dogs and cats evolved through hunting and scavenging for their food. Dogs and cats have a very short digestive tract geared to the consumption and digestion of raw foods. Today raw diets come in many varieties and forms – everything from bags of frozen morsels to freeze dried food to bones.How raw food helps with weight loss*
- Raw diets do not contain any of the fillers or binders that are needed to make kibble (dry food) or the unnecessary calories that come along with them.
- Raw food is more fully digested and as a result, the body can absorb and utilize more nutrients from the food.
- All the protein in raw foods comes from meat, not grains or plants, and is readily assimilated by the animal’s body and so pets feel satisfied with fewer calories.
Additional benefits of a raw food diet for petsIn addition to supporting weight loss, raw food diets have other benefits, including:
- Relief from common itchy skin issues.
- Increased vitality and improved immunity to disease.
- Less shedding and a healthier, shinier coat.
- Reduced inflammation and healthier joints.
- Improved digestion with fresher breath and smaller, almost odorless poops!
3 simple steps to get started with raw food
While a raw diet may sound intimidating, it doesn’t have to be a lot of work! To get started, follow these three steps:
1. Stop by one of our stores and let us help you pick out raw food for your pet or check out our selection online. Our friendly staff can help you choose one that fits your needs.
2. Start by “topping” your dog or cat’s regular food with some raw food or a raw food topper.
- 1 – 2 teaspoons for cats & small dogs
- 1 – 2 tablespoons for medium to large dogs
3. Increase the amount of raw food daily until you are feeding 50% or more of the diet with raw food. (However, even feeding just 25% of a pet’s diet as raw food can assist with weight loss.)
If you are looking for an effective and healthy way to help your pet shed extra pounds, try a raw diet for pets. And, in addition to adding raw food, consider these tips to help your pet lose weight and get healthy. As a result of managing your pet’s weight you may have a happier, more active companion and may even extend their life-expectancy – giving you more days to play and enjoy the love and company of your furry friend!*Before embarking on a weight-loss plan it is a good idea to consult your vet and rule out or treat any physical causes that may be contributing to excess weight, such as low thyroid in dogs.