- When was the last time you cleaned your pet’s food and water bowls? For some of us, we are doing good to keep them filled most days. A study by the National Safety Federation (NSF) found pet food bowls to be the fourth germiest item in the house. Yuck! To get rid of those germs, wash your pet’s bowls with hot water and a mild dish soap. (If you aren’t sure if your dish soap is safe, use a 50% water and 50% vinegar solution.) Aim to wash their bowls daily and if they are dishwasher safe then it is fine to toss them in the dishwasher for a thorough cleaning.
- They probably aren’t on the top of your “cleaning” list but pet toys are number seven on the list of top 10 of germiest spots according to NSF’s study. Often wet, they are the perfect hiding place for bacteria, yeast and mold. To clean them up, hand wash in hot water and mild dish soap. Or feel free to throw the rubber toys on the top shelf of the dishwasher (along with the bowls) and the fabric toys in the washing machine. And if a few toys need to be thrown out, we can help you find a replacement!
- Pets bring bacteria and allergens into the house and they often accumulate where they lounge and sleep. Start by vacuuming hair and debris off the bed. Then, wash your pet’s bedding in hot water with a mild detergent. Strive to wash their bedding weekly. If it is time for a new bed, here are some pointers on picking out a new one.
- We often wash or groom our pets but forget about their collar. Now is a good time to clean it up! Remove your pet’s collar and soak it in hot soapy water with a few squirts of pet shampoo (to help prevent skin irritation). After about 15 minutes, rinse and let the collar air-dry. Be sure to keep your pet indoors or use a back-up collar while cleaning.
- It’s time to give that litter box a detailed cleaning which entails throwing out the old litter, scrubbing the box clean and adding fresh new litter. We recommend some gloves for this job. After emptying the litter, wash the litter box inside and out with warm water and pet-safe dish detergent. Be sure and wash the lid, if it has one, and the scooper. Let the box air dry or dry with a towel before adding the new litter.
Want to get in and out quickly? You can shop online and pick up your order at your neighborhood Pet Pros! Give us a call and we’ll run your order out to your car. FREE Home Delivery is available on orders of $50 or more Check your address online to see if we deliver to your neighborhood.